- If your young, own it and use it.. trying to be rigid if your not that person won't work.. and the kids will smell it on you! Often times I use humor for minor things. If I have to get serious they know and often times I don't have to yell to get the message across.
- Cannot stress how important this is. Have them from day one. Reinforce them strong at the beginning and they will be effortless by the end. An example is cleaning procedures in my room. We have clean and dirty rags, soapy spray bottles for the tables... everyone does something. I don't tally or have assigned jobs. They know we are a community and if we don't all pitch in, we all won't leave. Simple as that. They also need to know you will check their work. Yes they watch me physically check my counters before they can go.
- Kids need to know you don't just call for the bad. I try to figure out which ones could potentially be problems. I call home and let their parents know they are appreciated in my class. If you have had problems recently with a child find one thing you like about them, and I know it can be hard at times, but lt them know or give them a happy graham... even if they don't deserve it.
- I also think it's fair to let the kids know if I am calling home. I also make sure they know I will not leave a message so don't try and delete it.. I will try until I get a a hold of someone.
- Don't fear it... sometimes things don't work and thats ok, roll with it. I have had new lessons that were a flop. I own it and work my butt off to make it work even better, the kids will see your efforts.
It OK to apologize
- Sometimes you lose your temper, or are just completely wrong.. we are human and the kids need to see that. Apologize. They will respect you more for it.
Teach how you want to be taught
- If the kids see your enthused they will want to learn from your excitement. You are the biggest salesperson for you job, own it. Sometimes when lesson planning I work backwards.. I see the end product on Pinterest or at a museum, or someone else did it. Then I try it, if I love it I write it up if it's a bust then I don't do it.. I have to do it as much as the kids!
Hope this helps. This is my humble opinion of course but if it helps anyone I am glad. Remember you don't want people to think your mean because your an alien!